About Me

My photo
On June 1, 2011 I embarked on a 27 month journey with the Peace Corps to Sierra Leone where I taught Math. Starting this fall of 2014 my wife and I are moving to Casablanca, Morocco to teach again!..this is the journal of one rambling man in Africa.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Payback

Some want to know about teaching. So here we go!

Ummm. I like it. It is the last thing I ever would have imagined myself doing in life, let alone actually liking it. I enjoy teaching them. I do. I dont enjoy trying to quiet 80+ students long enough to read anything but its part of the job. I love the moments when they are all quiet and taking notes and then I do something quirky like drag my chalk around the board and make noises. This usually warrants 80+ EHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhssssss. They like when I doodle hippos on the board. They like when I say something in the local language. I hope they like me. But being liked is not my job. Ive just started noticing that I dont think they understand my speaking/english as well as i'd thought. Will take time I guess. There are alot that just seem to come to make friends and lovers, and those that seemed forced to come. However I do have a few that seem to really enjoy learning. I had one of my most troublesome and hyper boys surprise me the other day by getting 100% my test. I gave him a pencil and a ruler and a beloved Audubon magazine. I definitely feel like all the torture I gave my teachers as a young ADD child coming full circle. There are a few that I look at, being hyper and loud and disruptive, and I just see myself and smile. They are not bad, they just cannot control themselves. Blurting out randomly. If any of my teachers read this....Thank you. Im sorry. I understand. Haha.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I have been visiting your blog. Thanks for sharing your avaluables experiences.¡Congratulations for your work! I invite you to visit my blog about literature, philosophy and films:
    http://alvarogomezcastro.over-blog.es

    Greetings from Santa Marta, Colombia

    ReplyDelete